TW VNV Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimorian Federation

Go down

Dimorian Federation Empty Dimorian Federation

Post by Commander Caldwell Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:32 am

The DFS (Dimorius Federation Ship) Excelsior dropped out of warp in the Dimorius Sector and was now on approach to Dimorius Prime. The Imperial battle-cruiser was majestic in its design and function. It was covered in sleek curves that gave the appearance that she could slice through space without resistance. While the DFS Excelsior was classified as a battle-cruiser, she was much more complex than that. Her purpose was multifaceted and her class was often the heart of any fleet, serving as a mobile command and control platform. She was also well equipped with offensive and defensive abilities which allowed her to operate independent of a fleet. The Imperial class ship was the most advanced and largest ships in service of the Dimorian Naval Service (DNS). The Imperial class ships also served as the flag ship for high ranking members of the Royal Family. The Excelsior continued on approach to the Captial planet of the Dimorian Federation and home to the Royal Family.

Commander Caldwell exited the turbolift into the command center for the ship and officers and crewmembers alike nodded at his presence. Some would be most disappointed in what they would perceive as disrespect to his status and rank. The Commander smiled as he thought back to when it first assumed command of the Excelsior some ten years previous.

--Flashback--10 years previous--DFS Excelsior--
The newly promoted Commander stood on the observation deck of Anchorage Station looking out the large viewport windows as the DFS Excelsior moved into docking ports inside the massive space station. The sheer size and sleekness of the ship caused the Commander's breath to catch in his throat. It still had not fully sunk in that this newly commissioned ship was his to command. He vowed that on his ship things would be different from his previous postings. He never really cared for tradition. He always felt that all things must evolve and grow and change. History was replete with examples of people, governments and empires fallen because they refused to change and adapt and held on fiercely to their rituals and or traditions. He was also a realist in that he knew given his position that some traditions had to continue, at least for now. But aboard his own ship he could shed those traditions. He knew it would be a bit of a up hill battle getting his officers and crew to change. But he knew in the end, he would prevail.

The Commander felt in his mind a familiar presence enter the observation room with him. He turned to face a Lieutenant. "Lieutenant Malcho, to what do I owe this visit?" The Lieutenant was nervous as he approached the Commander and he proud of himself that he was not showing his nervousness. It was only a day ago that he was assigned to this man's staff. "Your Highness, the Excelsior is now docking and her command staff will soon be ready to receive you." The Commander cringed inward at the formal address, outwardly he showed no indication of his annoyance. "Lieutenant, you have recently been added to my staff and you are my personal assistant. As such, you do not have to address me formally when we are in private or when aboard the Excelsior. Address me by my military rank when on duty and by my given name when off duty. I trust I do not have to remind you of this again."

The Lieutenant's nerves shot through the roof. He could not make sense of the man before him. Why would the Crown Prince not want to be addressed by his royal status. The question must have been obvious on his face as the Commander spoke. "Thomas, I am not ashamed of my status as the crown prince. But I want my officers and crew to seem me as more than just the Crown Prince. I want you and them to see me as an equal who is just as willing to put his life on the line as they are. I want you and them to know that I see you and them as being just as important as I am. I want respect given to me just as you expect someone to give you respect. For who you are than that just because of a title I have."

The Lieutenant relaxed and a small smile slipped on his face. "I think I understand now Commander. I am sure I might slip from time to time, for that I apologize in advance." The Commander nods his head in understanding. "Now, I believe, I have some new officers to greet. Let us get on with it." The Lieutenant and Commander exit the observation lounge and make their way to a small room next to the lounge. This room contained an officer standing at a computer station which was facing alcove with a slightly raised platform with two steps up to it. The officer manning the station quickly snapped to attention as the Crown Prince walked into the room. "Ensign, please teleport myself and the Lieutenant to the Excelsior." The Ensign nodded and began to manipulate his console as the Commander and Lieutant stepped up on the platform. To the observer the Commander and Lieutenant was bathed in white light that was almost blinding and with an audible pop both were gone. Nanaseconds later both reappeared in a similar room aboard the Excelsior where Captain was looking at them.

"Welcome aboard the Excelsior Your Highness." replied Captain Thorton as he snapped a salute. Both the Commander and Lieutenant stepped off the platform and stood before the Captain. "Thank you Captain Thorton. By order of the Dimorian Naval Directorate I hereby assume command of the DFS Excelsior." The Captain again salutes and replies "I stand relieved, sir. Computer note in the log transfer of command of the DFS Excelsior to his Royal Highness Crown Prince Zach Caldwell, identi code Alpha Tango Bravo One One Niner Zero." The computer replies from overhead "Transfer of command is verified and confirmed. New access and command codes enabled. Welcome aboard Commander Caldwell."

The Commander smiled. He had heard about the artifical intelligence aboard the Excelsior, the first of its kind and the Excelsior had been chosen to test the prototype. Looking up towards the ceiling he replies. "Computer do you have a name?" Instantly the computer replied "I am the Artificial Logistic Intelligent Command Engine."

The Commander looks to the Captain and the Lieutenant. "That is a mouth full. Computer would it be acceptable to you if I were to call you Alice for short?" The Captain shifted on his feet. Is the Prince nuts, he is talking to the computer as if it were a person. The newest and most state of the art ship and they take it away from him and give it to a bafoon who treats computers like people. God help us all he thought. "Commander, I would be honored if you called me Alice." The Captain rolls his eyes at the reply. An action that did not go unnoticed by the Commander. He had a feeling that he and the Captain might be butting heads on this shakedown cruise to Dimorius Prime.

--One Hour Later--
Lieutenant Malcho walked beside the Commander and the Captain was a step behind both as they walked down the corridor towards the recreation deck where the Commander would formally address ship and crew. For the last hour they had been conducting a tour of the ship. The Lieutenant chose that moment to speak. "Commander?" The Captain hearing this was flabbergasted and was quick to respond. "Lieutenant, how dare you disrepect his Highness." The Captain would of continued his triade except for the look the Commander was giving him. The Captain, realized he just slipped up and started to apologize "Your Highness, I am ......." The Commander held up his hand to stop him. "Captain, you know you were out of line. It is not your place to rebuke an officer assigned to my personal staff. Secondly, the Lieutenant was following orders, my orders. A fact you would of been made aware of shortly had you held your counsel. Think about your actions Captain. This time, I am not going to think anymore of it. Do not make me regret that choice." The Commander turns and starts down the corridor again. "You had a question Lieutenant?" The Captain, red faced followed the duo. "I was curious Commander, will we be taking on a full crew here at Anchorage Station?" The Commander shakes his head in the negative. "No, this is a simple shakedown cruise to Dimorius Prime. Once home we will take time to fix any problems found and staff up to our full crew complement." With that the trio walked into the rec room where the current officers and crew were waiting. Upon seeing their new Commander and Crown Prince, they all stood to attention and snapped a salute.

For the next 10 minutes the Commander gave a speech and laid out what he expected from his officers and crew and how he planned to run the ship. The assembled officers and crew members were as puzzled at the level of informality the Commander expected and muttered comments rumbled among the ranks.

By the time the Excelsior finished its shakedown cruise and arrived at Dimorius Prime, the officers and crew members had a greater respect for their commander. Commander Zach Caldwell was pleased with the cruise and with the core of his staff. The only blemish was the Captain, which found himself demoted and reassigned to an early warning station on the rim of Dimorian space.

--Present Day-- Dimorius Prime-- DFS Excelsior
Sub Commander Edera Palmar walked up to the Commander out of habit she tucked her hair behind her left ear. "Commander we have arrived at Dimorius Prime and are now moving into standard orbit. Orbiting Control has welcomed us home and inquired of any needs we may have. I informed them we currently have none. Communications has reported a message from His Supreme Highness, requesting your presence as soon as the ship is secure."

The Commander nods. "Thank you Sub Commander. Please see to our resupply. I suspect we might not be here too long, so try and make it as quick as possible. As soon as I know something for sure, I will contact you with further orders. I best not keep Father waiting any longer than necessary. Carry on." The Sub Commander nods and moves to her station to oversee the resupply and the Commander left the commander center to go meet with his Father and to fill him in on his visit to Tanelorn.

(OOC: Please do not reply to this thread until you have checked with me first. There is an order I hope to keep flowing in this thread.)

Last edited by Raccoon on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sticky'd so the topic does not get deleted.)
Commander Caldwell
Commander Caldwell
Lord
Lord

Back to top Go down

Dimorian Federation Empty Re: Dimorian Federation

Post by Commander Caldwell Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 am

His Highness Prince Caldwell materialized on the platform. Before him stood the Royal Honor Guard. Normally the Crown Prince would travel with a contingent of Honor Guards, but he had a rather heated argument with his father and it was agreed that while on Patrol aboard the Excelsior the Honor Guard would remain planet side. When he returned home he would be under the protection of the Honor Guards for the duration of his time on planet. At the time, the King was angry but on the inside he was proud of his son for taking a stand for what he believed. Times where changing and he knew his son was reflecting much of that change.

Prince Caldwell stepped down and greeted the Captain of the Guards. "Captain Veloris, it is good to see you again. Trust you and family are well?" The Captain nodded his head. "Aye, your Highness. Solidor was born just three days ago." The Prince smiled. "That is wondeful Captain. Once I have finished with Father I wish to see your son and bless him." The expression on the face of the Captain was priceless and just as quickly professionalism took over. "Guards, Ready." The Honor Guard of 12 men and women took up their assigned position forming a square with three guards forward, rear and to each side with the Prince and Captain in the center. This is the formation that now moved towards the Royal Center. It was a short walk from the Transporter station to the main gates. Once inside the compound 8 of the guards split off leaving two in front and two in the rear. Upon reaching the Royal Office the guards took up position next to the King's Royal Guard and the Prince and Captain walked into the office.

The Prince saw his father sitting at his large ornately finished desk. The King was dressed in his formal attire, suggesting that he had either returned from Court or would be going to Court soon. The memories of him sitting at Court with his father growing up tugged at his heart. One of the duties of the King is to decide the outcome of certain cases. Cases that had worked their way through the Lower and Upper Courts. The Dimorian Supreme Court is generally considered the last stop in most instances. But there are times when one side or the other will make a final plea to the Royal Court. Many times he had seen his father struggle to find and give true justice to the involved parties. One day this burden would fall to him and that was not something he particularly looked forward too.

The Prince when he was a young boy asked his father, after Court, why he just did not read the minds of the people who came before him to see who was or was not telling the truth. "Son, you must learn, as I have taught you, that we should never use our gifts against people, unless a life is at stake or we have the person's permission to read their minds. It is a matter of respect and privacy of the individual. Those like you and me with the gift know how to shield our thoughts and to protect information we do not want others to know. But not everyone is able to do that. It is not necessary to read minds to find the truth, if you know what to look for. Listen to the words and watch the body language and study the eyes. More often than not that will tell you all that you need to know."

The King rose from his seat. "Son, good to see you and I am pleased to have you home, even if for a short time." They embrace in a hug. "It is good to see you too Father. Mother is well, I trust?" The King smiles and leans against his desk looking at his son, seeing a reflection of himself when he was younger. "Yes, your mother is doing very well. She wanted to be here to greet you, but she had urgent matters to attend at the Hospital. She sends her love." The Prince was proud of his Mother. She like him had a knack for bucking tradition. She did not much care for hanging around the Royal Palace and plan and play host to special events, parties. Instead she used her medical degree and served as the Medical Chief of Staff at the Royal Community Hospital. "Ahh, Mother would be lost if she were not at the Hospital working with those whom are sick or hurt."

The King laughs. "I rather think she is married to the Hospital rather than me." He waves his hand. "I cannot complain, your Mother is great and love that she cares for our people and gives back." The King lets a sigh slip from his lips and he moves on to the business at hand. "Son, I know you have just returned from the Palace of Tanelorn and were looking foward to a vacation of sorts while the Excelsior completed its shakedown repairs. However, I am going to have to send you out and repairs are going to have to be done in flight."

The Prince now gave his full attention to his father. "The Tangeryan's?" His father nods his head. "Yes, It has come to the attention of the Intelligence Directorate that Lord Vladimir Tangeryan is attempting to mobilize his militia forces. Indications are that he has visited or been visited by the Houses of Vortoth, Rogaush, and Silborn. Intelligence believe they may be preparing for a move against us. I am sending you and our flagship to deter any rebellion. A show of force if you will."

The Prince thinks on the news for a few moments and looks up to his father. "I am not so sure Father. Lord Tangeryan is a shrewd man. I do not think he would be so careless as to so openly mobilze his forces if he were intending to strike at the Crown. Either something is going on that we are yet aware, or he is trying to distract us from is true intent. Either way, a show of force would be wise and there is no better show of force than our newest flagship of the fleet, short of going in with the entire fleet that is." a smile tugs at the corner of his mouth.

The King nods and is proud of the insight of his son. "Good, complete your resupply as quickly as possible. The sooner we get to the bottom of this the better. Safe trip, Son." The Prince nods and leaves the Office.
Commander Caldwell
Commander Caldwell
Lord
Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Caldwell Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm

After the visit with his father Prince Caldwell visited the house of the Captain of his Honor Guard to bless his new born baby and share some fond memories of times past. He was now back onboard the DFS Excelsior making his way to the bridge. Lt. Malcho, his personal assistant fell into step beside him with a data padd in hand. "Sir, the resupply is almost complete. The Sub-Commander estimates another two hours. Also as per your instructions the package is being delivered and should have arrived prior to our arrival at Cilian Prime. Lt Commander Keeters also reports that he has received the new complements of tricobalt torpedos."

The Prince listens intently to the report from his trusted officer. "Good, how is our crew compliment and espeically medical staff?" Lt. Malcho tapped his padd a couple of times and responded "The last of the crew has beamed up as of 10 minutes ago. The entired medical staff is onboard and the med bay is fully stocked. The Chief Medical Officer, has yet to arrive, but that is due to being on the far side of the planet. His shuttle will arrive within thirity minutes." The Prince stopped in his tracks and turns to face the Lieutenant. "Shuttle? Why not use the transporter?" The Lieutentant allows a small smile to cross his lips. "Have you ever met Sub-Commander Taylor Varnek before, Commander?" The Prince shakes his head "I do not recall ever meeting someone with that name before." The Lieutenant nods "If you had you would surely have remembered, he is shall a say peculair sir. There are certain things he is passionate about and it has to be his way or no way at all. The shuttle is his pet project so to speak, it is in essence a mobile hospital and he refused the posting unless he was allowed to bring his shuttle with him." The Prince frowns yet resumes walking again. "I do not see how a mobile hospital could be as state of the art of the med bay aboard Excelsior. I do not recall his name on the roster, I thought the CMO was to be Doctor Mallory?"

"Aye sir, indeed he was. But the reassignment came directly from the Medical Directorate, specifically from the office of Queen Caldwell." The Prince lets out a boisterous laugh that echos down the hall and gained curious looks from crew members and officers as they passed. "So Mother sent him. That says a lot about his skills. And a spy no doubt to make sure I sleep well and eat right and excerise." Another laugh, not as loud, escapes his lips.

They soon arrive on the bridge of the Excelsior and find it very busy as officers rush to prepare the ship for departure and to finish as many repairs and updates as was proben necessary from their shakedown cruise from Anchorage Station. He catches the eye of his executive officer and she moves to his right side. "Commander, we are just about ready to depart, all departments are finishing their final checks and the last supply shuttles are unloading their cargo now. Doctor Varnek's shuttle is nearing final approach." The Prince nods his approval. "Thank you Sub-Commander, please notify Lt. Commander Donaries that I want engines charged and ready for warp as soon as the Doctor is aboard." "Aye Comander." and she moves off to her station to relay his orders to the Chief Engineer. The Prince takes two steps down to the command center and sits in his chair. The chair automatically turns and faces the main status display screen. A command station rises from the floor infront of the chair. This is the command interface station from which he could access various information from around the ship and if necessary issue commands. For some they would say it was not necessary since the entire ship responded to voice commands. But as the Prince and various other officers have learned, it never hurts to have back up systems.

A voice seems to come out of the air around the Prince. "Greetings Commander, welcome back. I hope your visit home was a good one?" Replied Excelsior's Artificial Logistic Intelligent Command Engine (ALICE for short). The more he interacted with ALICE the more he loved the new AI system. "Hello ALICE. Yes had a good visit with Father. Mother was at the Hospital with a patient so I did not get to see her. But I did get to see little Solidor. How are you ALICE and the ship?"

"I am operating within stablished parameters. I have finished uploading the new arming and firing protocols for the Tricolbalt devices. All environmental systems are fully functional and all decks are now reporting ready for departure." A beep is heard. "Doctor Varnek's shuttle has just docked, Commander. At your command we can depart." The Prince looks around the bridge. "ALICE open intraship comms." The Computer beeps, signalling the command is carried out. "Attention crew of Excelsior, this is your Commander speaking. Our orders are to proceed to Cilian Prime to investigate some unusal activety in the region. This mission was given to us as we are the nearest ship and our engines can get us there quickly. The nature of this mission is time sensitive as such many of our shakedown repairs will have to be completed while enroute. I have full faith in each of your abilities to get the job done and done well. That is all. Prepare for warp." The Computer beeps noting the channel is closed. "Sub-Commander, take us out." The Sub-Commander nods and issues the command.

The Excelsior, gracefully slips from her moorings at Orbital Control and begins to move the required distance from the station and planet before jumping to warp. In a matter of moments the massive ship jumped into warp on its journey to Cilian Prime.
Commander Caldwell
Commander Caldwell
Lord
Lord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down